Milton Township Cemeteries Authority
The Township has care over 3 cemeteries:
Jewell Grove (Inactive)
This is the site of the first burial of a white woman in Milton Township, Emily Jewell, on land owned by her brother, Ira Jewell, which he later donated as a local cemetery. This cemetery became active circa 1842. The 1-acre cemetery contains the markers for members of the Jewell, Cooley, Cripps, Erwin and Reese families. In addition, oral tradition from the family of Proctor Price says he “paid for the bodies of 20 men who died in the Civil War to be brought home and buried in the Jewell Grove Cemetery.
He did this because the soldiers families were too poor to bring home bodies. And lastly, when farm helpers died or families of farm workers, or close friends who came to visit and caught the cholera, or any number of other things that happened, if they died, the Cooley family, or the Reese family, or the Jewell family usually gave them space in the Public burial areas for their kin to be buried.” (statement of Arthur W. Cooley, a direct descendant of Proctor Price Cooley)
Pleasant Hill Cemetery (Active)
This is the last address of veterans of the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War and both World Wars as well. Pleasant Hill Cemetery, established in 1843, is still open for burials. Those who might qualify for burial there are indigents, veterans and spouses of someone already buried there. A large sign identifies the site as “Milton Township Cemetery” and pays tribute to Gideon Warner, a Massachusetts native who served in the Revolutionary War. A large stone grotto believed built in the early 1930’s by the WPA (Works Progress Administration) also graces the cemetery.
Location: Southeast corner of Geneva Road and Coventry Drive in Wheaton (a few blocks west of Gary Ave)