1492 North Main Street
Wheaton, Illinois 60187

MILTON TOWNSHIP Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Highway Department located, and how do I get there?

The Highway Department is located at 23W040 Poss Street in Glen Ellyn, Illinois. If you are coming from the north, take Main Street/Glen Ellyn Road south from North Avenue to Poss Street. Turn right on to Poss Street and follow Poss to the Township yard. If you are coming from the south, take Main Street north from St. Charles/Geneva Road (commonly referred to as "5 Corners") to Poss Street. Turn left on to Poss and follow Poss to the Township yard. If you are coming from the east, take St. Charles Road west from Rt. 53 to Main Street, turn right on to Main Street. Continue on Main to Poss Street, turn left on to Poss and follow Poss to the Township yard. If you are coming from the west, take either Geneva Road or St. Charles Road east from Bloomingdale Road to Main Street, and turn left on to Main. Continue on Main to Poss Street, turn left on to Poss and follow Poss to the Township yard.

I’m building a deck, shed, garage, home addition, fence, driveway, roof, etc. Do I need a permit?

In most cases, yes. Contact the Highway Department for more information before you start your project.

I went to the County for a permit for the work I’m doing on my private property, and they said I need a permit and bond from the Township Highway Department. Why?

The Highway Department issues permits and bonds to protect the right-of-way during the construction phase of your project. If there is no damage to the parkway during the construction or the damage is repaired, the bond posted is returned in full at the completion of the project. There is no cost for the permit.

There is a tree down across my street that is blocking traffic. Whom do I call?

Call the Highway Department, and we will have someone come out and remove it as soon as possible. If it is after regular business hours and is an emergency, contact the DuPage County Sheriff Department and they will notify the Township.

Whom do I contact regarding a parking ticket I received?

You will need to contact the issuing Deputy at DuPage County Sheriff's Office at 630.407.2400; or, if you have any questions regarding you will need to contact the DuPage County Circuit Court Clerk at 630.407.8600.

My street was plowed and salted, but they missed the area in front of my house. Why?

In most cases, there was a car parked in the street during the plowing operations. To avoid this situation, please make sure all cars are removed from the street and put into your driveway during plowing operations.

I live in unincorporated Milton Township, but you never plow or maintain my street. Why?

In those cases, your street has been annexed into a City or Village. When a City or Village annexes a piece of property across the street from your property, they also annex the street and the right of way in front of your house.

I came home and there were different colors of paint marked on the parkway in front of my home. Why?

In most cases, this is J.U.L.I.E. The utility companies in your area are locating underground utilities for a project.

My driveway apron has sunk and needs repair. Will the Township repair it?

No, driveways are the responsibility of the homeowner.

The ditch or parkway in front of my home is always wet, and it hasn’t rained for a while. What could be causing this?

There are several possible reasons for this situation. The most common reason is that there is a sump pump discharging water into the ditch. The Township does have an ordinance that prohibits discharging sump pump water into ditches. The second most common reason might be a water main leak. If you think that this might be the cause, contact the Water Department that services your area.

I have a water problem in my back yard. Will the Township come out and repair it?

No, the Township can only work on the area of accepted right of way in front of your home. Try contacting DuPage County Storm Water Management, and see if there is something that they can do to help.